Famous Art Quotes With Pictures
1. Life imitates art far more than art imitates Life.
2. The art of art, the glory of expression and the sunshine of the light of letters, is simplicity.
3. The artist is nothing without the gift, but the gift is nothing without work.
4. is the proper task of life.
5. Art is not a study of positive reality, it is the seeking for ideal truth.
6. A guilty conscience needs to confess. A work of art is a confession.
7. An artist is not paid for his labor but for his vision.
8. If you do not breathe through writing, if you do not cry out in writing, or sing in writing, then don’t write, because our culture has no use for it.
9. The sculptor produces the beautiful statue by chipping away such parts of the marble block as are not needed – it is a process of elimination.
10. Art is the most intense mode of individualism that the world has known.
11. The aim of art is to represent not the outward appearance of things, but their inward significance.
12. Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.
13. Art is the only way to run away without leaving home.
14. Drawing is the honesty of the art. There is no possibility of cheating. It is either good or bad.
15. An artist never really finishes his work, he merely abandons it.
16. Without tradition, art is a flock of sheep without a shepherd. Without innovation, it is a corpse.
17. Vision is the art of seeing what is invisible to others.
18. Every artist dips his brush in his own soul, and paints his own nature into his pictures.
19. Art is a collaboration between God and the artist, and the less the artist does the better.
20. Painting is just another way of keeping a diary.
21. An artist is somebody who produces things that people don’t need to have.
22. Very few people possess true artistic ability. It is therefore both unseemly and unproductive to irritate the situation by making an effort. If you have a burning, restless urge to write or paint, simply eat something sweet and the feeling will pass.
23. In art the best is good enough.
24. An artist is a dreamer consenting to dream of the actual world.
25. I have no fear of making changes, destroying the image, etc., because the painting has a life of its own.
26. Art is man’s expression of his joy in labor.
27. I’ve been called many names like perfectionist, difficult and obsessive. I think it takes obsession, takes searching for the details for any artist to be good.
28. The task of art today is to bring chaos into order.
29. While drawing I discover what I really want to say.
30. So vast is art, so narrow human wit.
31. A good painting to me has always been like a friend. It keeps me company, comforts and inspires.
32. Some painters transform the sun into a yellow spot, others transform a yellow spot into the sun.
33. Painting is an infinitely minute part of my personality.
34. There is nothing worse than a sharp image of a fuzzy concept.
35. If you hear a voice within you say ‘you cannot paint,’ then by all means paint, and that voice will be silenced.
36. The essence of all beautiful art, all great art, is gratitude.
37. The artist is a receptacle for emotions that come from all over the place: from the sky, from the earth, from a scrap of paper, from a passing shape, from a spider’s web.
38. Every human is an artist. The dream of your life is to make beautiful art.
39. Fine art is that in which the hand, the head, and the heart of man go together.
40. The object of art is not to reproduce reality, but to create a reality of the same intensity.
41. A great artist is always before his time or behind it.
42. Every good painter paints what he is.
43. Works of art, in my opinion, are the only objects in the material universe to possess internal order, and that is why, though I don’t believe that only art matters, I do believe in Art for Art’s sake.
44. Art is magic delivered from the lie of being truth.
45. The purpose of art is washing the dust of daily life off our souls.
46. We have art in order not to die of the truth.
47. Art begins with resistance – at the point where resistance is overcome. No human masterpiece has ever been created without great labor.
48. Immature artists imitate. Mature artists steal.
49. Every child is an artist. The problem is how to remain an artist once we grow up.
50. Art enables us to find ourselves and lose ourselves at the same time.
51. You don’t take a photograph, you make it.
52. Personality is everything in art and poetry.
53. Art is parasitic on life, just as criticism is parasitic on art.
54. There are two distinct languages. There is the verbal, which separates people… and there is the visual that is understood by everybody.
55. The essence of all art is to have pleasure in giving pleasure.
56. When I judge art, I take my painting and put it next to a God made object like a tree or flower. If it clashes, it is not art.
57. Art produces ugly things which frequently become more beautiful with time. Fashion, on the other hand, produces beautiful things which always become ugly with time.
58. The business of art is to reveal the relation between man and his environment.
59. The emotions are sometimes so strong that I work without knowing it. The strokes come like speech.
60. Art is a line around your thoughts.
61. To say that a work of art is good, but incomprehensible to the majority of men, is the same as saying of some kind of food that it is very good but that most people can’t eat it.
62. Fashion is only the attempt to realize art in living forms and social intercourse.
63. To send light into the darkness of men’s hearts – such is the duty of the artist.
64. All art is autobiographical. The pearl is the oyster’s autobiography.
65. A work of art is the unique result of a unique temperament.
66. Art is a step from what is obvious and well-known toward what is arcane and concealed.
67. A picture is a poem without words.
68. A man paints with his brains and not with his hands.
69. I’m afraid that if you look at a thing long enough, it loses all of its meaning.
70. True art is characterized by an irresistible urge in the creative artist.
71. Pictures must not be too picturesque.
72. An artist is always alone – if he is an artist. No, what the artist needs is loneliness.
73. Without art, the crudeness of reality would make the world unbearable.
74. Without freedom, no art art lives only on the restraints it imposes on itself, and dies of all others.
75. Photography takes an instant out of time, altering life by holding it still.
76. No great artist ever sees things as they really are. If he did, he would cease to be an artist.
77. A picture is worth a thousand words.
78. Art is not a thing it is a way.
79. I found I could say things with color and shapes that I couldn’t say any other way – things I had no words for.
80. I cry out for order and find it only in art.
81. Every production of an artist should be the expression of an adventure of his soul.
82. The arts are an even better barometer of what is happening in our world than the stock market or the debates in congress.
83. Art for art’s sake is a philosophy of the well-fed.
84. The waking mind is the least serviceable in the arts.
85. Rules and models destroy genius and art.
86. The beginning is the most important part of the work.
87. Painting is easy when you don’t know how, but very difficult when you do.
88. In art as in love, instinct is enough.
89. The very essence of the creative is its novelty, and hence we have no standard by which to judge it.
90. Every artist was first an amateur.
91. An artist cannot fail it is a success to be one.
92. Art, like morality, consists in drawing the line somewhere.
93. The true work of art is but a shadow of the divine perfection.
94. Art consists of limitation. The most beautiful part of every picture is the frame.
95. Treat a work of art like a prince. Let it speak to you first.
96. All art is but imitation of nature.
97. Abstract art: a product of the untalented sold by the unprincipled to the utterly bewildered.
98. To me, photography is the simultaneous recognition, in a fraction of a second, of the significance of an event.
99. I don’t paint things. I only paint the difference between things.
100. In art, the hand can never execute anything higher than the heart can imagine.
101. The mediator of the inexpressible is the work of art.
102. Even a true artist does not always produce art.
103. The history of art is the history of revivals.
104. What makes photography a strange invention is that its primary raw materials are light and time.
105. Every creator painfully experiences the chasm between his inner vision and its ultimate expression.